Monday, April 21, 2008

Better Late Than Never...I Hope!

Hedgie says, "Back away from the strawberries and nobody gets hurt..."




We have been planning on starting a garden this spring, but planning is about as far as it has gotten until the last couple of weeks. We decided we might as well till up the ground and get started, better late than never. So my husband tilled up two big spots in the backyard, one for veggies, one for watermelon. Then the floods came. Rain of biblical proportions that put our county and 37 others on the federal disaster aid list. Then the water dried up, and the freeze came. Mid-April and everyone who had already planted was covering their plants with blankets and sheets. So we waited a bit longer...

Today I finally planted some things! My husband still wants to till one more time, so I used a raised bed for some strawberries and tomato plants. We will see how it goes, I'm hoping better late than never! Here are some pics of the plants before and after, plus my little scarecrow, Hedgie. I wouldn't mess with him, would you?






Here are the two garden spots, maybe someday they will be filled with beautiful and delicious fruits and veggies!




If I don't grow anything else, I did make some "fresh lettuce" in my shop! Here is one of my knitted creations, "Shredded Lettuce Scarf"! Hopefully I will have some tomatoes soon to go with it...

3 comments:

P. Lee said...

I think Hedgie makes a great scarecrow - although I would be worried about humans stealing him cause he is so cute!!

Tracy said...

Hm, I think I can take Hedgie is he comes at me. I guess we will see come strawberry harvest! LOL

laughingchicken said...

Alright, it looks like I will need to guard Hedgie, while Hedgie guards the garden...!