Thursday, March 20, 2008

It All "Depends"...

Last night I experienced a wonderful example of how attitude is everything. Our women's group, mostly aged 40+, met to have special prayer for missionaries during Easter week. As we sat together chatting as ladies do, someone mentioned all the flu-type sickness that has been going around our church, our town, and our state. Somehow the topic evolved into a discussion of coughing, coughing fits, and eventually morphed into the subject of *ahem* spasmodic urinary incontinence. It seems that this is a universal experience among women of a certain age. Yes, there we were all sharing stories of times we either coughed or laughed so hard that we wet our pants! We smiled and laughed at ourselves and each other, and all agreed that "age happens".

I later thought, how wonderfully upbeat this was, and what an example of attitude being so important. Age happens, and we can react in two ways. We can bemoan the fact that things fall apart (and fall south) or we can find others going through the same changes and laugh together about it instead. (When the eyes start to fail a bit, why not treat those new glasses as a fashion accessory instead of a flaw of age? It's all in the attitude!) For some reason, I am much more comfortable with myself at 40+ than I was at 20, when everything was in just the right place. Maybe it's more that my head is in the right place now instead of my body.

I had always heard the poem "When I Am An Old Woman, I Shall Wear Purple". Now I understand that she was talking about the veins in her legs! I think this is the inspiration for The Red Hat Society, an organization of women facing middle age with humor and style. Well, my ladies and I, we have our own group and we have that same attitude. Except I guess you can call us The Wet Pants Society! As I said, it all "depends" on your attitude...

3 comments:

SouthernNight said...

ROFL Great post! I can sooo relate, especially to the purple part!

Down on the Farm said...

You gave me the first smile of the day. Thank you. Connie

Charlotte said...

Hi. I'm here because of Connie from down on the farm. She enjoys your blog and wanted to share it with me. The automatic pilot thing was interesting. I'm afraid we all go through too much of life on auto pilot. We need to take time to smell the roses. Connie thought that since you are in Oklahoma we would have something in common. I was born in Okla. Left there when I was a baby - went back there in the 9th grade - graduated from high school and left again. I had a lot of relatives still there. A lot of them that I knew are gone now. I've still got tons of cousins that I really don't know. Anyway, I'm glad I came to visit your blog. Would be happy to have you return the visit anytime you would like.
Blessings.